Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Whole 30 Day Two and stuff

I survived Day Two. 

I woke up yesterday horrified because I had dreamed of eating all the food at the grocery store, chowing on Chick Fil A sandwiches, and eating an entire order of chicken lo mein from our favorite Chinese takeout place.  None of these things happened, of course, but I've also never dreamed about food before.  Weird.

One of the "rules" of Whole30 is to eat your breakfast within an hour of waking up.  I've never done this.  I'm not an early breakfast eater.  I'm just not.  I get my coffee and then usually eat 2-3 hours later.  I'm not one to force myself to eat, but yesterday I tried to eat before I even had my coffee. I wasn't overly hungry, so I ended up not eating enough.  I was starving by 10 am.  The Whole30 peeps want you to try to eat only 3 meals a day with minimal snacking.  But they've never seen me hangry, so I was smart and packed snacks to take with me to school.  What were said snacks?  Carrots.  I got over being hungry really fast.  I just really didn't feel like chewing.  I started substitute teaching this school year and I was in the classroom yesterday.  I knew the distraction of the science and math would help with any lingering thoughts I may have of cheese and crackers.  It did.  But I was still hungry.

Lunch was a green salad with the best chicken you'll ever eat and a hard boiled egg.  It was pretty tasty.  I had to run some Marching Band mom errands yesterday which means I went to Wegmans.  I went to Wegmans slightly hungry.  Never do this.  Especially if you're on Day 2 of Whole30.  The bakery...the cheese shop...sigh sigh sigh.  I lived, but wow was that a rookie mistake.  Never again.  I came home and had a handful of raw almonds and half of a honeycrisp apple.

The Girl declared it Taco Tuesday and insisted we have tacos for dinner.  I had browned up some ground beef on my prep day, so I had lettuce wrapped tacos topped with guacamole, peppers, and tomatoes.  Everyone else had theirs on crunchy corn shells, some cheddar cheese and rice.  I didn't miss those extras too much, I was too freaking exhausted to care.  I went to bed earlyish wondering if I would actually wake up hungry on Day Three.

The answer to that is nope.  Not hungry.  I had coffee and a hard boiled egg before I walked The Girl up to school.  After that I did some yoga and THEN I was hungry.  I browned up some potatoes and onions (yes, white potatoes are allowed) and served with the egg & veggie frittata I made on Monday.  I topped the whole thing with half a diced avocado and tomatoes.  Yum!  All that was missing was some hot sauce.  I need to find a compliant sauce ASAP.

Today I'm going to make some meatballs and a red sauce to have with the spaghetti squash I roasted Monday to serve for dinner tomorrow.  Tonight I'm making a crock pot soup which will be full of veggies and diced chicken.  I have to hit the store to pick up some broth because my homemade broth leaked in the fridge while I was thawing it.  Fail.  I will definitely make sure that I am NOT hungry when I go to Wegmans today.

No comments: